Fashion trends are always changing, and it can be hard to keep up, especially when you’ve had the same style for years and don’t really know how to break out of your comfort zone. As a woman over 40 years old, it can also be hard to find a balance between fashion and class, with many of today’s wardrobe options targeting a younger crowd and featuring extremely tight or revealing styles. A woman should always feel confident and attractive though, so if you’ve been in a bit of a fashion rut, you should certainly spend some energy pulling yourself out. Not sure where to start? Here at Pearl and Clasp we have collected some excellent tips!
- Know your body type. Women of all ages come in a variety of shapes and sizes- that’s what makes us so unique! Harness your natural beauty and choose clothes that flatter and highlight your specific shape.
- Avoid looks that are too formal. Sophisticated styles are great, but add a drop of playfulness to keep things dynamic and fresh!
- Ditch the cheaper stuff. While it’s fun to buy inexpensive clothes, there comes a point in life when quality really makes a big difference. Make sure to spend on better fabrics and tailored cuts. We’re not suggesting that you invest in a whole new designer wardrobe; choose a few statement pieces that you can mix and match, then splurge on cute, affordable accessories to keep your look interesting.
- Don’t go too tight. Pair looser pants with a tight shirt, or tight bottoms with a flowy blouse, but don’t wear a tight shirt with tight pants or leggings. Styles with a bit of extra fabric or flattering drapes and folds are classy, fashionable and great for hiding problem areas like tummies or underarms. Avoid shirts that are very boxy, though- or you may end up looking heavier or more shapeless than you are!
- Embrace your age. Mini skirts and ripped jeans were fun once, but they are definitely more suitable for teens. Stick with fitted blazers, solid colored jeans or trousers, and knee-length skirts and dresses to channel the modern-yet-sophisticated woman that you are!
- Invest in great shoes and accessories like jewelry, handbags and purses, hats and belts. These can range from simple to flashy, creating multiple options for work, date nights and parties without breaking the bank. Don’t be afraid to try brighter colors and prints!
- Make sure you have some excellent wardrobe staples to have as fall-back options all year round. These should include a white button down, a long coat, the perfect pair of jeans, a little black dress, ballet flats, pearl earrings and a well-fitting blazer.
What are your favorite styles for women over 40?
Until next time,