Whether your jewelry box is full of costume stuff or stunning diamonds, it’s important for every gal to know the best way to care for her favorite accessories. Here are some easy tips to keep in mind when you’re talking about cleaning, polishing, and repairing your jewelry.
1. Organize: No one likes untangling necklaces from a giant knot or searching for the second earring that you know just has to be in a specific drawer, so keep your jewelry organized to prevent them from getting lost, tangled, or broken. Invest in jewelry organizers like an earring caddy and necklace hooks for easy storage, and don’t slack in this department – it will save you a lot of time, frustration, and ultimately money to keep your jewelry well organized.
2. Clean: When it comes to cleaning your jewelry, it’s important to know what you’re working with. Silver and gold can be cleaned with metal cleaners (or for those of you that are environmentally cautious, toothpaste also does the trick!) and diamonds and other precious stones can be cleaned with Windex. Many jewelry stores will also clean your diamonds for free, and they definitely do a more thorough job.
3. Repair: If you have a broken necklace clasp, it’s definitely worth replacing if you love the piece, but if you don’t think you’d wear it again, try trading it in for the value of the metal – many jewelry stores do this and often give you a great deal if you choose store credit.
4. Store: Did you know that putting pearls in your jewelry box alongside silver and gold will cause them to loose their luster? It’s important to know the best way to store your jewelry to prevent it from tarnishing and becoming damaged. Pearls come in envelopes or boxes made of satin or velvet to protect their delicate exteriors, and sterling silver should be stored in an anti-tarnish bag or box to keep it looking new for as long as possible.
5. Care and Wear: Everyone wants to wear the jewelry they love, but make sure that they’re the last things on when you leave the house and the first things off when you come home. Hairspray, perfume, and other body lotions contain oils and alcohols that can damage jewelry and make it look dirty and dull, so keep them stored away until they are on your body, completing your outfit with the finishing touch you desire.