The Little Black Dress. Sigh. Probably the best, most exciting item in every girl’s wardrobe. So understated, so flattering, so EASY. And yet, most of us have an enormous collection of LBDs that just aren’t truly the One. While it’s hard to really choose, we’re here to help!
Lots of stores will recommend specific dresses based on your body type, and while that can be very helpful, chances are you already have a feel for what you like and feel comfortable in. Go with your gut when it comes to stye and shape, but keep in mind that certain cuts can be more flattering than others. Certain dresses can be perfect on lots of different body types though, and we’ve compiled a list of some things to look for:
1. Ruching. These magical little crinkles help conceal problem areas without making you look boxy or shapeless. You can choose a style that using minimal ruching in strategic areas like the bust or hips, or one that has it throughout.
2. Wrap- around. These are great because they give you a balanced combo of loose fabric and shape. They cinch at the waist, creating an hourglass silhouette, and are super flattering with their deep v-necks and sleeves. These will also allow for a bit of wiggle room when it comes to fit, if you tend to fluctuate between sizes.
3. Off the shoulder. Super feminine and elegant, off the shoulder dresses don’t need much in the accessory department. Keep it classy with a slightly longer hemline, and of course, a really great strapless bra. Combine this look with ruching and you will definitely be the best dressed at the party!
4. Empire waist. This is a great option if you want to hide a little tummy or show off your narrow shoulders. This look also elongates you, creating an illusion of height.
5. Shifts and sheaths. These are simple silhouettes that can work on most body types. If you feel like flaunting you curves, go with the tighter sheath option, or keep it clean and understated with a boxier shift. Both are gorgeous with the right accessories: think pearls, a clutch and the perfect make up.
6. Sweetheart necklines. These are so romantic and feminine, and flatter most figures. You want to make sure not to show too much cleavage. Pair it with a necklace and heels and you’re good to go!